Louisa A. (Kroening) Baxter. Born 4/2/1891 Died 10/31/1981; became a member of Fruitport Congregational Church 5/9/1937.
Louise Baxter lived in a home where Grover’s Pharmacy now stands. In the early 1950’s, the house was moved to Beech St. (now owned by Ray & Barb Doenges). She lived there until she moved to Lakeland, Florida for the winter. In the summer, she would return to Michigan and lived in a small apartment on Lake St. owned by her good friends, the Sahlin’s.
Louise was born in Wisconsin on April 2, 1891 and moved to Fruitport with her husband James Edward and only child, a son John, in the late 1920’s. Louise became a member of the Fruitport Congregational Church on May 9, 1937. She was very involved with the Women’s Fellowship, donating the first quilt rack and played a big role in the quilting bees they had every week.
Louise was also a very good business woman. She was the tax collector for Fruitport Township in the 1930’s and 40’s. At that time it was a volunteer’s job. Also in the 40’s, she ran a tavern along with her son John. It was located in the brick building (still standing) next to Lundberg’s Storage Group on Third St.
She enjoyed reading, walking, hiking and going to the movies at the Michigan Theater in Muskegon (now called the Frauenthal Center).
Louise had 2 grandchildren, Jane and Louise and 4 great-grandchildren. She was also a member of the Eastern Star of Spring Lake.
In researching cemetery record, Fruitport shows her name to be Louisa A. (Kroening) Baxter. She died on October 31, 1981 at the age of 90.